“In my first 6 months at Rackspace Technology, I remember flagging a broken process to my manager and she just looked at me and said, ‘what do you want to do about it?’ And I remember how refreshing that felt because I realized how much more fun and fulfilling early-stage work is for me.” - John Eitel
John Eitel VP of Enterprise Sales at Canva joined Scott Britton and Andrei Newman on the Business Is Human Podcast to discuss the right time to build out a GTM function, the process of moving up-market, and finding human <> stage fit.
Here are some quick takeaways:
- Make sure to have the hard conversations early (it’s not an immediate return on investment).
- Hire people who are willing to take problems into their own hands (self-starting and autonomous).
- The story of your tenure is more important than the length of your stay (what did you do there?).
- The sellers of 20 years ago are not sellers of today (the sales skillset has shifted dramatically).
- Finding human <> stage fit is as easy as identifying the type of work you find the most fun.